We are seeking for a highly energetic and motivated Research Assistant to join our Machine learning team at Hong Kong Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases, based at the Hong Kong Science Park. The ideal candidate will have the opportunity to actively participate and contribute to the research and development of novel strategies for high-throughput imaging-based drug discovery. The appointee will support various research projects by conducting computational analyses. This is an excellent opportunity to immerse oneself into an inter-disciplinary field that brings together information technology with biology.
- Collect, manage, and study biological data (microscopy images and/or NGS data), including the use of machine learning and statistical methods to analyse and interpret data for meaningful results.
- Implement and/or optimize existing analysis pipelines with inputs from biologists and deliver the insights of the data responsibly and timely.
- Maintain good records of the data and analyses performed.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field. Interest in the field of life sciences would be beneficial but prior knowledge in this area is not required.
- Strong programming skills, especially with Python. Knowledge of R is a plus.
- Ability to implement computer vision algorithms using popular deep learning frameworks such as Pytorch, Tensorflow, and standard libraries such as OpenCV.
- Strong analytical, communication and interpersonal skills with ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Curiosity and the professional skillset to excel in an open, highly collaborative and multidisciplinary environment.
- Good organizational skills with an appreciation of software engineering practices and the ability to work independently are required.
- Familiarity with the administration of Linux and HPC systems including troubleshooting software installation, deployment, and execution would be an asset.
- Knowledge of relational database architecture such as MySQL and PostgreSQL is a plus.
Salary and Benefits
A highly competitive salary will be commensurate with qualification and experience in addition to medical and dental benefits as well as annual leave. The appointment will be offered a renewable one-year contract, subject to mutual agreement and performance.
Applicants should submit their up-to-date CV and cover letter with salary expectation and availability. We thank applicants for their interest, but advise that only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the results of their applications. Review of applications will commence shortly and continue until the position is filled.
The information provided will be kept confidential and be used for recruitment and other employment-related purposes. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates.