We are looking for highly motivated Research Assistant(s) to join our Histology team. The candidate(s) will contribute to the collective efforts directed at the roles of biomarkers underlying the dysregulation of Alzheimer’s Disease (AD), contributing to disease pathogenesis with stepwise histopathological progression. The recent projects are focused on human AD neuropathological hallmarks, microscopically hint on the intricate molecular interplay of signalling pathways through observations of neuropathological abnormalities from various brain banks’ post-mortem human brain samples.
The ideal candidate(s) will gain exposure to hands-on translational research, with the primary focus on neuropathological alternations at the cutting-edge microscopic level. He/She will mainly be responsible to work with mouse whole/half-brain samples and the precious post-mortem human brain samples, through conducting immunostaining with a wide array of molecular markers, followed by 2D and/or 3D bioimage analysis, to examine microanatomical lesions to support research projects of relevance.
- Processing, staining (IHC, IF), imaging and basic interpretations of the tissue images.
- Implement and/or optimize existing protocols and bioimage analysis pipelines with documentation.
- Undertake any necessary training as required, to provide technical expertise.
- Maintain good records of the experimental data and analyses performed.
- Perform general project administrative tasks, such as maintaining general upkeep, equipment and stocks of supplies needed for research.
- Support the preparation of manuscripts and presentations, where applicable.
We Offer You
- On-the-job training in immunostaining, (multiplexed) widefield and confocal imaging of tissue specimens from post-mortem human brain and mice model(s), also respective customized bioimage analysis pipelines.
- Mentoring and training as part of an active research environment in HKCeND and HKUST.
- Professional development with career opportunities and training within collaborative and interdisciplinary environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Bio-(medical) engineering and Life Sciences, including Biology / Biochemistry / Molecular Biology / Biomedical Sciences/Bioinformatics/Computational Biology or related field.
- A creative mind who are curious and willing to learn new techniques and software as necessary.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, team-oriented with the ability to work proactively.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational skills and able to prioritise own work in response to deadlines.
- Self-driven learner who are keen to develop new skillsets and learn about computational image analyses, come join us to develop and further optimise analytical tools for massive bioimages.
- Think tank for model-based image processing and analysis algorithms on top of existing ones.
- Experience of tissue handling and histology, with basic laboratory skills in molecular biology and neuroscience (genotyping, immunostaining, microscopy, etc.).
- Basic statistical knowledge and skills, including familiarity with statistical analysis software such as GraphPad Prism, R or SPSS.
- Basic programming concepts and/or skills such as Python, MATLAB or Java will be an advantage.
- Data management experience with relational database architecture is a plus but not necessary.
Salary and Benefits
A highly competitive salary will be commensurate with qualification and experience in addition to medical and dental benefits as well as annual leave. The appointment will be offered a renewable one-year contract, subject to mutual agreement and performance.
Applicants should submit their up-to-date CV and cover letter with salary expectation and availability. We thank applicants for their interest, but advise that only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the results of their applications. Review of applications will commence shortly and continue until the position is filled.
The information provided will be kept confidential and be used for recruitment and other employment-related purposes. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates.